Otter Pitts, Scrooby.
The best way to see the village of Scrooby is on foot. Park your car on Low Road, and make sure to:
- Print the guide sheets listed below
- View the buildings described below
- Read the information boards in the Village Hall
- Walk up Mill Lane, see the rivers and the Winz common ground.
- Visit the Pilgrim Fathers pub for lunch.
Village Hall keys are held by Izzi Marshall 01302 719190.
There are several buildings worth seeing. These buildings are historically important and contribute to Scrooby's 'sense of place'.
Download this account of William Brewster Pilgrim Father as a Adobe PDF document.
Download this account of Scrooby separatist church as a Adobe PDF document.
Download this account of the flight to Holland as a Adobe PDF document.
Download this history of Scrooby manor house as a Adobe PDF document.
St Wilfrids Church Scrooby.
The thirteenth century limestone church with its tall early fifteenth century tower and steeple is Scrooby's focus. The west window is also early fifteenth century. The south aisle was added in the early Sixteenth Century. The church's roof, pews, font, pulpit and east window were restored in 1864 after a period of neglect. The east window received stained glass in 1889.
Keyholders are listed on the notice board at the graveyard's eastern gate. The keyholders are:
- Izzi Marshall 01302 719190
- Maurice Clapham 01302 710078
- Barbara Morgan 01302 719410
- Gordon Ashworth 01777 818322
The Graveyard of St Wilfrids Church Scrooby.
The church's graveyard is surrounded by a limestone wall, with a village pinfold on its north side. The pinfold was used by the village pinder to impound loose and stray animals, released on payment of a fine by the animal's owner.
The Old Vicarage
Immediately neighbouring the graveyard and the pinfold is the Old Vicarage. The house was probably built in the 1590s and used by the village curate. After falling derelict in the early Twentieth Century, the house was presented to tourists as the home of William Brewster. The house does not need this false pedigree to be of interest to a visitor, as it is one of only few timber-framed buildings to survive in North Nottinghamshire.
The Manor House, Scrooby. e.20C photo?
The Archbishop of York's Manor House
The meadows to the east of the village's centre contain prominent earthworks of the medieval Archbishop of York's manor house or hunting lodge and fish ponds. Only a small part of this large and complex medieval building remains standing; being one side of the imposing gateway.
The manor house is famous for once being the home of the Brewster family, including William Brewster Jnr, the Pilgrim Father.
William Brewster Snr was receiver and bailiff of the Archbishop of York's estates in Scrooby, occupying the run-down remains of the manor house around 1575. He later became Master of the Queen's posts, providing accomodation in Scrooby for Crown messengers travelling on the Great North Road. He died in 1590.
William Brewster Jnr lived from 1566 to 1643, taking on his father's post. During 1606-7 Brewster, William Bradley and Richard Clyfton held Seperatist meetings at Scrooby's Manor House, being prosecuted for non-attendance of the established church.
The manor house and the site of the medieval palace are best viewed from Station Road, to the south of the site. Neither the building nor the surrounding farmyard is open to the public.
The Mill, Scrooby. e.20C photo?
To the north of the village an imposing watermill stands on the old course of the river Ryton. The Mill is predominantly a seventeenth century building. Its mill pond lies between the building and the village's back lane.
The schedule for 2019 is:
- January 20: The Death of Stalin
- February 17: Double Bill - Mamma Mia and Mamma Mia - Here we go again with Greek food.
- March 17: The Shape of Water
- April 21: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
- May 19: 3 Billboards outside of Ebbing Missouri
Full details will be published each month in the STAR and on this site.
Scrooby Community Cinema | email@example.com | Scrooby Village Hall | Doors 7:30 | Start 8:00 | £4 on the door | Licensed bar